10 Things Teaching has Taught Me- Tell All Tuesday

Hey there!
Absolutely LOVED this Tell All Tuesday link up provided by the ladies at My Day in K and Teach, Talk, Inspire.  
Teaching is such an amazing learning experience. I learn something new about children, teaching, and about myself almost every time i'm in the classroom. 


10. Punishment and Negative reinforcement does not work! 
I've learned that the best way to motivate students is by encouraging them and letting them know how capable they are of achieving success. Handling misbehavior? Punishment isn't going to work! Students are motivated by seeing OTHER students rewarded for their positive behaviors. Johnny is talking to Sussie in the middle of my lesson. Instead of focusing on that, i'll focus on Jennifer's amazing listening skills! Dojo point for Jennifer! 
MAGIC!

9. It's best to have several classroom management methods and rewards
I discovered Classroom Dojo last year and fell in love with it! My students are sucked in by those little monsters and the accumulation of points. They get paid at the end of every week and use that money to purchase different coupons. Even though the method is great, I always try to provide students with alternate opportunities for rewards. I also implement the table point method which holds students accountable for their entire table. If they're talking or being disruptive, their entire table suffers. No one wants to let their buddies down. What works for one student, might not work for another. This year, i'm also implementing a V.I.P supply box reward method. Change it up! Students are motivated by NEW rewards.


8. Screaming doesn't work!
No, really. It doesn't. When i'm overwhelmed, I take a 5 minute bathroom break. Actually... when you whisper, they're better listeners!

7. Things don't always go according to plan and that's okay!
You can picture and plan the ideal lesson. Once you're in the classroom, everything changes. Sometimes a student's question can completely change the direction of the lesson and that's okay! I learned that teaching should be all about authentic learning experiences.  

6. All students are different!
What works for one student, doesn't work for the other. My class this year will be completely different from the one last year. Some students have situations at home and are more easily hurt than others. Getting to know each student as an indivudual will make him/her feel welcomed, accepted, and loved.

5. Invest in a planner!
This year I worked in a Charter school that was FILLED with weekly activities and meetings. My Erin Condren planner saved my life.

4. Students want to feel appreciated!
I'm not the most affectionate person. But one thing I have learned is that many students come to school is search of affection. Greeting students every morning with a big smile and giving out hugs is part of my job. They remember that time I left them a note on their desk and the time I shared my snack with them. That whole "mean-teacher" approach is false. You can be nice to students, make them laugh, and still have great classroom management. It's all about balance!

3. Get on the parents' good side.
Parents can be a PAIN sometimes. You have to stick with them for 9 months...your best bet is to try to stay on their good side! #fakeittillyoumakeit

2. Complaining won't make it better!
"Our salary stinks! What's up with the district?! Johnny's mom is such a pain!" Complaining isn't going to fix anything or make it any better. Teaching is one of those professions you go into because you're passionate about it. I've learned to work with what I have, make the best of it, and make sure that I am doing everything possible to help my students learn. That's the goal. Also, don't hang around teacher's that are constantly complaining (ESPECIALLY about their students). Those negative vibes start to rub off. (I learned that my first year of teaching)

1. It's a rewarding experience 
I can't see myself doing anything else but stepping into the classroom every morning. Working with children and watching them blossom is one of the most rewarding experiences EVER.

post signature

2 comments

  1. Great list! Erin Condren is totally the way to go to organize your life. I love that you mentioned complaining doesn't make it better! There is nothing worse than negative nellies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yari! Thank you so much for linking up with us! I loved reading your list and agree with all of your points. I definitely agree to invest in a good planner, I don't know what I would do without my Erin Condren planner. It saves me every year!

    Jayme
    Teach Talk Inspire

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top