#2getherwearebetter Room to Improve!

Hello there friends! 
Today i'm linking up with the fabulous ladies from of Lucky Little Learners and Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd for their monthly linky party!
This month's topic is classroom improvements. Uhhh.... that's all i've been thinking about all summer! How can I make next year even better? What improvements can be made to not only my classroom, but my teaching as well! This will be my third year teaching and I can honestly say i've learned so much from this amazing TPT community! Your blog post, pins, and pictures are extremely inspiring. I steal so many ideas from all of you. >_< As part of this reflecting process, I created a list of goals for the upcoming school year. Every year I learn something new! One thing i've learned is that EVERY. GROUP. IS. DIFFERENT! What works one year might not work next year. And guess what? That's okay!
I'm a bit embarrassed to say this but i've never done math centers.. 
My internship was in a 5th grade reading class and I was never able to experience what math centers looked like. I only taught reading during my first year. This past year was my first year teaching math and I absoulutely LOVED it. I'm not going to lie, I was scared of creating a different center routine that would create chaos in my classroom. My goal for this year is to create rotations and procedures from the beginning of the year. It's difficult squeezing in that small-group time when the pacing guide asks you to teach a different skill almost every day! 

I work at a charter school in Miami and I have a pretty tiny classroom. There's not much space for designated writing areas or meeting areas. I do however have a giant desk! Which I never sit at.... or use.... 

Definitely getting rid of that big ol' desk and purchasing a kidney table from Ikea. Meeting with my small-group usually means making one of my groups move to another group so I can use their tables. Not so practical. 
How perfect is this table from Ikea? It's small, which is perfect for my tiny room!

Teacher goal: REVIEW!! Especially with content area material. We studied Native Americans for two weeks and rarely saw them again. haha This needs to change! I will be incorporating review games and books throughout the year.

Rumor has it i'll be moving to a new grade and a different classroom. (Not so excited about it. I was loving second grade)
The only benefit of moving is that I will be in a BRAND NEW building with a bigger classroom!! 

Chalkboard, chevron, & polka dots EVERYWHERE!!!

Thanks for reading friends! Make sure you link up and reflect on what improvements can be made in your classroom and/or teaching! =)

post signature

4 comments

  1. How exciting that you are moving to a different grade level and a bigger room. Those are two things that don't bother me at all. I always feel like it gives me a fresh start and makes me more creative. I have officially taught every grade level K through 5 and I find pros and cons in each one. I'm partial to the big kids now though! Good luck!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. New grade and classroom! Exciting! :) I have a how-to math centers pack that may be helpful for you while setting up math centers for the first time. Email me at creativitytothecore@gmail.com and I'll send it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited and nervous! lol I would LOVE that! Thank you so much! Emailing you right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maths centres weren't really a big thing when I was doing my internship and didn't start doing them until my 3rd year of teaching. I had students finishing early and gave them math games to practice skills, then I just made sure to give time for maths centres. Kids LOVE it! That's what I love about teaching, always learning!

    ♥ Stephanie
    Fishing for Education Blog

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top